National Clean Off Your Desk Day
Let’s be honest, no matter how tidy of a person we may be at home, our desk and workspace is not always the neatest and most organized area. Well today is the day to change all that, it is National Clean Off Your Desk Day, so why not spend some time reclaiming your work space and bring back some order.
Cleaning off your desk only takes a small amount of time, but it creates big results. An organized and clean desk not only increases your productivity, but it has some psychological perks such as: improving focus, reducing stress, and improving mental stability.
Here are some tips to get your desk space clean and organized:
- Clear everything off your desk. As you’re removing items from your desk, separate them into three piles: Keep, Toss, or Move (for items that belong somewhere else other than your desk). Make a separate pile for your stacks of paper – we’ll be going through these in step four.
- Now actually CLEAN your desk and everything on it. Did you know that your desk has about 400 times the amount of bacteria as a toilet seat?! Yeah, that’s a pretty disgusting fact. So grab some disinfectant and wipe down your desk, keyboard, phone, desk accessories, cabinets, and chair.
- Now that your desk is sanitized and germ-free, put back the items from the “Keep Pile." Make sure to put back all of your desk accessories in an organized manner that makes sense to you.
- Next, go through your stacks of paper and separate them into three piles: Toss/Shred, File, or To-Do. Then sort and file the papers that need to be filed away. For all of the papers that still need your attention, place them in a designated area, like a letter tray that’s labeled “To Do." Have a second letter tray marked “To File” for a place to put all future completed documents that need to be filed away.
- Finally, shred or toss all unnecessary documents. For all of the items leftover that don’t belong on your desk, toss them as well or relocate them, rather than letting these unneeded items pile up at your desk.
- Extra Credit! Tidy Up at the End of Each Day Now that you've put the time and effort into creating a productive workspace, make sure you keep it that way! At the end of each session, put everything back in its designated place and make sure your work surface is clear. While this may feel like the last thing you're in the mood for, you'll be thankful that you did when you next sit down to work and there isn't any tidying to distract yourself with. And when you've finished, we suggest you reward yourself!
Are you taking part in National Clean Off Your Desk Day? If so, we'd love to see photos of your workspace.
We hope you have a productive and clutter-free week!
- Created on .